Tooth Extractions in Oro Valley, AZ
You will find a wide array of services at Smith Dentalworks that are designed to help you achieve and maintain a healthy smile for a lifetime. In some cases, however, keeping your healthy smile may require a tooth extraction to protect your oral health, and Dr. Smith, your trusted dentist in Oro Valley, can help.
When Do I Need an Extraction?
While it is our goal at Smith Dental Works to help you keep your natural teeth for as long as possible, there are some circumstances where a tooth extraction becomes necessary:
- Wisdom Teeth: Also called third molars, these are the last molars to arrive and are located far back in your mouth. Their position often makes these teeth difficult to keep clean, or sometimes they come in at odd angles that are harmful to adjacent teeth. Sometimes, wisdom teeth remain impacted (stuck in the gums), which could result in an infection. Dr. Smith typically recommends wisdom teeth extractions for these reasons.
- Periodontal Disease: Periodontitis or advanced gum disease destroys the gums and bone that support your teeth and often result in tooth loss.
- Trauma or Injury: Sometimes a tooth maybe traumatized, cracked, or fractured beyond what a root canal can save.
- Deep Decay: A tooth with decay that has reached the nerve causes an infection that is beyond what root canal therapy can repair. In this case, we would remove the tooth to eliminate the infection and protect remaining teeth.
- Orthodontic Treatment: Overly crowded teeth may need to be removed to achieve the best results during orthodontic treatment.
Extractions with Your Comfort in Mind
You can rest assured that Dr. Smith performs all tooth extractions at our Oro Valley, AZ dental office with your comfort as our top priority. She relies on the best dental anesthetics to ensure that you don’t feel anything during your procedure. If extraction is complicated, she will recommend the services of a local oral surgeon that she will work with closely to ensure the best outcome.
Options for Tooth Replacement
Dr. Smith is happy to discuss tooth replacement options with you if the tooth we are extracting is not a wisdom tooth or is being removed for orthodontic treatment. It is essential to think about replacing your tooth as soon as possible to avoid drifting of neighboring teeth and bone loss. We will help you explore your options for tooth replacement such as a dental implant or bridge before your tooth extraction so you can make the best decision for your dental health.
Contact Smith Dentalworks
If you need to have a tooth extracted, it’s important not to delay your treatment as teeth that are damaged or infected can get progressively worse. Contact your team at SDW to learn more about how we can help you maintain your oral health with a comfortable and safe tooth extraction.